intro



This Blog is about my life as an Australian glassblower and glass artist.

I am largely self taught, but my mentors have been deeply significant.

Grant Donaldson.

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Alasdair Gordon - A Creative Mentor



Marrying into Eileen's family, I gained a Mother and Father in-law, who continuously teach me about love and art. My whirlwind approach is calmed when in the company of Alasdair. His patience and the detail in his work is mind blowing. His life and work re-enforces my belief, that everyone needs a mission, a reason to get up in the morning. He knows so much after all these years, but he acts like he is just beginning, so excited to get to his studio and try some new idea. He taught me that art is an endless journey; you have to get out there and explore. And that new idea, the thing you find, it was on your trail.


Lady and Doves - Alasdair Gordon


Alasdairs' work is getting better and better; with more urgency, comes greater and more important work.  But what I like most about him, he is so humble, seeing  ancient glass in a museum can still have him to tears, because it's just so good.

if you're interested in knowing more about Alasdair you can visit his site here.
and a direct link to his works  here

1 comment:

  1. Hi Grant,
    I have just read the very poetic insert that you have composed referring to my work and the impact that I have apparently had on your career in the art of glassmaking.
    While thanking you for your comments I must say that I feel very humbled. If I have had an input as you suggest then I can only add that you have made us, and I include Rish here as well, really very happy and proud at your success.
    I have at last completed the High Country cameo and will attach it for your critical comments. I thought at the commencement of the engraving that you would like the theme. The original idea was sparked off from a meeting with two bushmen in high winds high up in the mountains of Lesotho but after perusing the book A Collection of Australian Bush Verse which you presented to Rish some years ago the design evolved into its final form. So you in turn influenced my work. Cheers!
    I would just like to add that it was a real pleasure seeing you all over here albeit all too briefly. However young Calum and your Mum will be here soon and we look forward to that. I enjoyed seeing my Scottish mountains again with their scattering of black faced sheep contrasting with the Autumn colours.
    In the meantime much love from us both to all,
    Alasdair

    ReplyDelete